[mythtv-users] My FIOS TV experiences

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:59:08 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and about a month ago Verizon started
> offering FIOS TV in a bunch of townships here.  I got my install on
> Thursday.  Here are my experiences, for anyone who's thinking about doing
> the same.
> I signed up for both FIOS internet and TV at the same time.  The install
> took about 6 hours with two guys, mainly because they had to run new coax
> that was up to their specs to the three tvs in my house.  The techs were
> professional, knowledgeable, and cut no corners.  Very happy with them and
> their work.
> Picture quality for the analog channels puts Comcast to shame.  They looks
> like digital feeds now.  Extremely happy with that.
> Now the myth-related part.  The set top box is a Motorola QIP6200-2.  It
> looks identical to the Comcast DCT-6200, except for lacking a cablecard slot
> in the front.  Firewire was enabled, and Myth had no problems changing the
> channel on the box.  6200ch however needed a little tweaking (had to add a
> new vendor and model id - 0x0000195e and 0x00007100, respectively) before it
> would work.
> The bad part is that a seemingly random assortment of HD OTA channels have
> some kind of copy protection enabled.  ABC, CBS, and CW, according to the
> set top diagnostic screen, have CCI: 0x02 and RC Flag: 0x01 set.  And
> test-mpeg2 generates garbage when trying to record them.  The rest have
> these flags set to 0 and test-mpeg2 has no problem.  A little googling shows
> these setting control whether a program is copy-once, copy-always, etc, and
> whether a device is forced to downconvert it on playback.  I'll be calling
> Verizon support as soon as they're open to get them to fix this and report
> back once I have more info.
> Now to look up those FCC regs in case I need to cite them...

Those control settings correspond to the 5C DRM system, sadly theres
no FCC regulation saying they have to let you receive OTA HD without a
5C system. They may however have to let you receive the Analog
equivalent stations over firewire without 5C equipment. I say 'may'
because theres still some legal questions as to how much control the
FCC has over IPTV systems.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -