[mythtv-users] 3Ware RAID 5 backend

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 03:02:44 UTC 2007

--- GARETH GLACCUM <gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com>
wrote:
> Not got experience with these devices in a myth
> sense, but I use them a lot
> at work (every system I implement).

Do you need any sort of special hot swap IDE drive
caddy/cage or can you "hotswap" using a standard
removable caddy/cage with the 3Wares?

> The 7506 is quite an old model now, and is IDE. As a
> computer manufacturer
> we are finding that supplies of IDE are drying up a
> bit, and you may want to
> consider moving to SATA if this is going to be an
> investment for you (I
> think that making a 2.2TB array as you have here is
> an investment).
> If you are doing a RAID 5 set, you loose one of the
> disks to parity. Thus
> you have 750GB *3 (4 disks minus 1 for parity) =
> 2250 GB. Some of this will
> be lost in formatting and data information. I would
> reckon that if you were
> to set this up you would not be over the 2 TB limit.
> With the 9000 series (the current models) there is
> certainly no limit at 2TB
> (largest I have set is 11TB so far.). Personnally I
> have found 3ware to be a
> lot more dependable than adaptec, but we use them
> for slightly different
> purposes (3ware internal raid, Adaptec external SCSI
> raid)
> Hope this helps,
> Gareth

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |