[mythtv-users] Xsession on one, Myth on the other

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sun Jan 7 23:42:41 UTC 2007

Mercury Morris napsal(a):
> On 1/6/07, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> I have a dual head setup; one card is an nvidia 5200 and the other is a
>> cheap PCI S3/Virge.  I have X running on these.
>>
>> I would like to have a regular gdm login on the S3 monitor, and a Myth
>> session on the nvidia monitor.  The idea is that I can watch
>> TV/movies/etc on one monitor and do some work on the other.
>>
>> If anyone has a dual-monitor setup like this, I would appreciate any
>> hints or possibly xorg.conf files.
>
> Yan,
>
> Re-reading your post (several times), it seems to me that you have two(2)
> video cards driving separate monitors.  If so, I can't comment on that
> specific set-up.
>
> But I can comment on what I believe to be a much more common setup,
> one which you should be able to use with just the 5200 card.  Most
> dual head set-ups run a monitor
> on the VGA (or DVI) port of the 5200, and a TV set on the S-Video (or
> YPrPb) port.
> (Or maybe some variation of that.)
>
> If you search the archives for "dual head", you will find quite a few
> discussions
> of how to set it up on a single video card, examples of xorg.conf
> files, etc.
>
> The configuration you want to get to, MythTV on a TV screen and work on a
> separate monitor is just great for running and maintaining MythTV
> systems.
>
> Good Luck!

Here's the article I was looking for:

http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html

The only trick is that you need to add 'Option "noInt10" "true"' for the
nvidia card if you're using the evil binary driver.

I still haven't figured out how to run an X Session without a mouse or
keyboard, using lirc only.....  But that should be doable, either with
kbdd or kbde.

--Yan