[mythtv-users] 3Ware RAID 5 backend

GARETH GLACCUM gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Sun Jan 7 22:32:43 UTC 2007

Not got experience with these devices in a myth sense, but I use them a lot
at work (every system I implement).
The 7506 is quite an old model now, and is IDE. As a computer manufacturer
we are finding that supplies of IDE are drying up a bit, and you may want to
consider moving to SATA if this is going to be an investment for you (I
think that making a 2.2TB array as you have here is an investment).
If you are doing a RAID 5 set, you loose one of the disks to parity. Thus
you have 750GB *3 (4 disks minus 1 for parity) = 2250 GB. Some of this will
be lost in formatting and data information. I would reckon that if you were
to set this up you would not be over the 2 TB limit.
With the 9000 series (the current models) there is certainly no limit at 2TB
(largest I have set is 11TB so far.). Personnally I have found 3ware to be a
lot more dependable than adaptec, but we use them for slightly different
purposes (3ware internal raid, Adaptec external SCSI raid)
Hope this helps,
Gareth