[mythtv-users] Video Noise and VHS-to-DVD conversion (long - only read if interested)

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 15:30:35 UTC 2007

> (Or: Why does my transfer look like crap?)
>
> This subject was brought up a few days ago, and I've had some private
> discussions with a few folks about it. This post is an attempt to
> give some practical tips that will at least help to minimize the
> perceived noise in a DVD made from a VHS tape. Most of these tips are
> pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how often some of them are
> overlooked.

Great piece, Brian.

I wouldn't worry about this being off topic -- tape transfer is a
question that comes up fairly often. I certainly found the writing
very informative, enlightening, and humerous. Both highly technical
and easy to understand.

I had only known a 'humbucker' as a type of electric guitar pickup and
thought the name was just because it sounded cool. I hadn't realized
that setup was designed to eleminate noise -- ie buck hum.

I'm really looking forward to Parts 2 and 3, and I think that once
they're complete the whole article should find a permanent home on the
wiki.

Thanks again.