[mythtv-users] OT: Mythfrontend on a Wii - ever posible?

Brad Staton brad.staton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:18:51 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2007, at 02:25, Brad Staton wrote:
> >
> >> I, too, am curious about this. It seems like it might be possible for
> >> somebody to implement the frontend as a Wii Channel rather than
> >> requiring that the Wii run Linux...
> >
> > In order to write a Wii channel, I'm assuming you'd need a licensed
> > Wii developer's kit, which is probably prohibitively costly.
>
> That depends upon your definition of "costly".
>
> http://digitalbattle.com/2006/06/21/wii-development-kit-to-cost-1700/
> http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/wii-development-kit-
> under-2000
> http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/wii-development-kit-to-
> cost-1700/
>
> Stroller.

If someone's willing to purchase a development kit and port mythfrontend to
the Wii, I'd be all for it.  There are, however, a few shortcomings of the
Wii that I think make it slightly less attractive as a game console turned
HTPC compared to the other consoles.

Since it's (so far) limited to 480p, I don't see a distinct advantage of the
Wii over the original XBox as an SD frontend.  The XBox is less expensive,
can already be modded to run Linux, and has an IR reciever readily
available.  It might be nice to use the Wiimote to control things, but I'd
rather be able to rely on my existing single-remote setup (mostly for the
WAF).

The other new consoles offer the possibility of providing HD-capable
frontends in the entertainment center for people who don't want to build
their own HTPC.  It's only a matter of time before we see that someone's got
Myth running on Yellow Dog Linux (or another distro) on their PS3.
Eventually the PS3 will have a price drop, and it'll become a more
attractive option as a media center.

--
--Brad Staton
Brad.Staton at gmail.com