[mythtv-users] New to Myth, comments/questions (Mac FE, distributed setup w/ servers and FE machines)

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Fri Jan 5 14:27:47 UTC 2007

> Would having the FE be on another machine cause this sort of delay?

Shouldn't be that bad.  I usually get a 5 second delay on my XBox, and
it's gotta swap the playback code into memory before starting up.  That's
just SD though too, I guess.

> Yeah, I think I'll need at least a 1.8Ghz mini to deal with HD (I
> borrowed the 1.5 from a friend to try it out).

The 1.5 is a Core Solo - I got the core duo (1.66) when they first
launched, and I've had no problems playing back HD content on it.  I don't
have it hooked up to a TV though, and I don't use it for Myth much.

Off topic, but if you're planning on using it as a general purpose machine
as well, make sure you upgrade the ram.  512 isn't enough for the latest
and greatest OS X, and it'll make you want to pull your hair out.

Greg