[mythtv-users] VGA to component cables

Dave dave at optionsdsl.ca
Fri Jan 5 11:55:18 UTC 2007

A good rule of thumb is, that if its just a cable, its not doing any 
conversion,   Coverters need power, electronics.

You cant take one of these cables and watch your DVD player on your 
computer monitor.

Component != RGB/VGA anywhere in the world..  Its a color difference 
signal, You get some red, and you  get some blue, and the "difference" 
is green!  A lot less bandwidth!

Stroller wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2007, at 05:01, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 15:55 +1100, Bill Williamson wrote:
>>> On 1/5/07, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:
>>>> Y not try some DIY 1st???
>>>> http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html
>>> That will not do what he wants.  That takes component and then allows
>>> it to be displayed on devices which have a "VGA" plug (HD15) which
>>> ALSO accepts component (usually projectors).  It's a DIY version of
>>> this: http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/DetailPage? 
>>> pls=infocus&bc=infocus&pc=SP-VESA-ADPT- 
>>> R&tab=desc&clist=017080322b69:017080322b6b&ret=Accessories-Cables 
>>> +and+Adapters&pls5catname=Accessories-Cables+and+Adapters
>>> It does NOT do the opposite (take a standard VGA signal and output it
>>> in component)
>> Woooo... My Bad.. I really thought it was doing the opposite.
> Actually, it SAYS it is doing the opposite:
>     Will I be able to use the VGA to component adapter to watch DVD's
>     from my DVD player on my computer monitor?
>     Probably not, the adapter just "adapts" it doesn't convert.  Nearly
>     all computer monitors need an RGB signal, as compared to the  
> component
>     (Y, Pr, Pb) signal that a DVD player outputs.  To view a component
>     signal on an RGB monitor requires a transcoder, which converts the
>     component to an RGB signal.  Many projectors and some rare monitors
>     will accept a compent signal via their HD-15 (VGA or RGB) port.
>     This is the intended use for this adapter.   Bottom line:  For the
>     adapter to work your display device must accept component inputs.
>     Will I be able to use the VGA to component adapter to watch my
>     computer on my big screen TV?
>     You can connect your PC to your wide screen TV if either the TV has
>     an RGB (HD-15 or 5 RCA) input or if your computer can output its
>     signal in component.  Some video cards can do this natively (some
>     ATI) or via a "dongle" (most Radeon cards), some NVIDIA cards have
>     component output also.  Bottom line: you'll have to check the specs
>     of your video card.  If there is no RGB input on the TC or component
>     output from the video card, you'll need to get an RGB to Component
>     transcoder, or scan converter (really two names for the same thing).
> I think the cause of the confusion is that he talks about "component"  
> and shows "YPbPr" in his diagram, yet VGA actually produces RGB (as I  
> understand it)  ... and the author also refers to RGB in his VGA  
> convertor article.
> Component != RGB, although I appreciate this is better understood by  
> home-theatre buffs in the UK & Europe than elsewhere.
> I believe this kind of homebrew cable is better described in the  
> articles at:
>    <http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/circuit>
>    <http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html>
>    <http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136811&page=1>
>    <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/RGB_Scart>
> Compare the pin-to-pin connections in these links to those in the  
> diagram you linked to.
> Stroller.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list