[mythtv-users] via epia build advice

Peter Baumgartner sgt.hulka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 04:11:00 UTC 2007

I'd like to reduce the noise and power consumption of my current
backend. I'm looking to replace it with a Via Epia that will also
operate as my home NAS and webserver. I've built lots of desktops in
the past, but never worked with a mini-itx system. Any advice would be
much appreciated.

GigE is a must and I like the idea of having a fanless system for
noise/power. It looks like the EN12000E with a PVR500 is right up my
alley.

Any recommendations on cases? I'll have 2 sata drives and maybe an
optical drive. I'd like to keep it really small and would even house
the drives outside the case if needed.

How about PSUs? I'd like to set it up with one of the external bricks
rather than the traditional type ATX PSU, but I've never built a
system with one before. Using this handy little tool
(http://www.epiacenter.com/powersim/powersim_v2/epiasimulator_v2.htm)
it doesn't look like it should be pulling more than 120W max. Anything
else I need to be aware of?

Finally, any recommendations on vendors in the US?

--
Pete