[mythtv-users] VNC

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Fri Jan 5 01:47:03 UTC 2007

On Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 02:27:12PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:

> On 1/5/07, Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> >On Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 01:19:47PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
> >
> >> Under Windows? That's what the original poster is using...
> >>
> >No, via ssh on the linux box, which is what the OP was asking.  You set
> >DISPLAY to the VNC session (:0 if you're exporting the main desktop, or
> >:1 if you're running Xvnc as a separate process) then run the
> >mythfrontend command as given above.
> So what's the purpose of ssh? He's just running  mythfrontend in a terminal
> on the linux box. The only networking involved is VNC - which you can tunnel
> over ssh, but is probably overkill on a LAN.
That'd depend on the window manager I guess - if you're running a
stripped down window manager then you can't open a terminal directly
from within the VNC session.  In this case you'd need to ssh in to get a
command line.  Otherwise, yes, you can do it all from within VNC

Anyway, I was (originally) just correcting the earlier statement that
the mythfrontend command couldn't be run from an ssh session, not saying
that it was necessarily the best way to do it.