[mythtv-users] 720p on LG 50" Plasma

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Thu Jan 4 23:56:37 UTC 2007

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> So i have a 50" plasma LG tv, new (december) and it says that the RGB
> input with so 1024x768 for PC inputs and 720p for i'm assuming like
> cable boxes or something like that.  Unfortunately, it detects mythtv as
> a PC and won't display 720p through RGB (i used to have a lg DLP, but
> that was in the shop 4 times in 1 year, so even tho it was after
> warrently got to excahnge it for this plasma, and it did 720p fine, even
> though in the manual it said the same thing, it didn't detect it as a
> PC).  Does anyone know a way to "fool" the tv? or is linux sending out a
> signal, or somehow detecting this as a monitor and not sending it out in
> 720p?  Don't get me wrong 1024x768 looks great on it, but i know that on
> the DLP 720p looked better.

I have an LG DLP. It has the same story. If I connect via the HDMI then it
will accept all resolutions. The RGB input really is for VGA format input
and restricted.

<OT>
One gripe I have with my LG is that they are lying about the resolution.
It says 720, and specifically gives 1280x720 in the manual, yet is does
not have that many pixels on the screen (you lose significant part of the
margins). Do you know that your model (which one?) truly shows the full
1280x720? With my machine in text mode I would lose a few characters off
each line, making it very hard to use.
</OT>

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>