[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:21:24 UTC 2007

> On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:45 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > Basically, you can at least record the channel, and the quality is
> > damned good for not being HD, basically its "DVD" quality. The
> > downconversion the Motorola DCT's do is very good, and with the proper
> > recording settings on your PVR card the recording is good. I record
> > some of the InHD MOJO shows this way, so that at least I can watch
> > them.
> >
> > As well, lets say your going to record something on TNT, I'd much
> > rather have the TNTHD downconverted version than the regular TNT
> > broadcast, the quality will be much better, especially for the shows
> > they carry that are actually HD. ie. I'd rather have a Porsche 914
> > (you know, the one with the VW engine, like the 356A's...) than a VW
> > Type 4 (which shared the 914's engine).
> >

> You have some good points. Unfortunately the only HD I have access to
> is DISH or the single off-air channel here, which is mostly
> upconverted SD with a crappy encoder.

in theory, it should work for the DISH boxes too, if they downconvert
HD to output through their S-Video port.

> I've no experience with the Motorola DCT boxes, but what you say
> makes some sense.

I hope so, its why I have the encrypted HD channels enabled on my
PVR-150 zap2it listing =)

> I'm building a test machine with an HD-3000 card in it to see what if
> anything I can get as unencrypted QAM from the cable.

most likely just the local OTA in your market. From what I've seen the
cable company's are starting to enable/pass the 5C signal to the cable
boxes these last few months.

> There is actually a 6-cylinder 914 in the local paper here, I might
> even go look at it, but...

thats the Porsche 914/16 variant, it uses a true Porsche engine.
Either way I was never a big fan of that body even though its sort of
the grandfather to my favorite Porsche, the Boxster S ;-)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!