[mythtv-users] VGA to component cables

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 17:14:42 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/4/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 1/4/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > <SNIP>

> > > Steve,
> > >    Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Isn't the difference
> > > here that the 9A60 does a conversion of VGA to HD while the cable just
> > > breaks out the VGA signal to the component cables without any HD
> > > conversion?
> >
> > Well, from what I understand, VGA doesn't carry TV compatible YPbPr
> > signals, so I don't know what that cable would be good for. Perhaps a
> > TV that can read VGA signals without sync information? no clue. The
> > 9A60 converts the normal 5signal VGA information into a proper TV
> > compat YPbPr signal.
> >
> > The company that makes that cable does seem to have a similar device
> > to convert to DVI though, which is pretty cool (if not quite
> > expensive!)
> >
> > --
> > Steve
>
> I used to have a monitor that took BNC inputs, which seemed to be an
> option on some of these cables. As you way though there is no sync on
> the color signals, or is there? Maybe it generates a sync from retrace
> intervals or something like that?
>
> Anyway, I can understand $110 for a converter and $15 for a cable.
> Question is what is the exact right application for each.
>
> - Mark

That would depend on your TV I guess, though most likely if you have a
normal HDTV with only component input I'd assume it needs a proper
YPbPr signal and thus a converters should be used. As someone else
mentioned, you can also try one of the NVidia cards with "built-in"
Component output.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!