[mythtv-users] need vid card with s-video, pci-x16 that "just works"

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 4 12:21:58 UTC 2007

On 4 Jan 2007, at 03:11, Dave wrote:

> All Nvidia cards with svideo out work great in xorg, try to get a 5xx0
> series card, I have a 5750 PCI-E, but it has a fan, couldnt find one
> without, might just change out the heatsink/fan for a heatsink only
> if I
> could find them somewhere

Hi there,

I'm graphics card shopping myself at the moment (see [1]) and may
well end up with a nVidia.

Why do you suggest a 5000-series rather than the 6000 or 7000? These
6000- & 7000-series cards seem to be more readily available & so I
assumed they were later models. I therefore assumed longer support
for them in nVidia's binary drivers.

Assuming I was to end up with a 6000- & 7000-series card I had
thought to replace the fan (which I assumed to be the most common
factory-installed configuration) with an after-market heatsink. Maybe
this is an unreasonable hope? Do these cards produce too much heat
for that?

Stroller.

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/244067#244067