[mythtv-users] Card id's changing at boot

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 10:45:38 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also it is apparently possible to get udev to match hardware ids'. I
> > read something about this with USB items being mounted. I have no idea
> > whether it is possible with PCI type hardware.
>
> I think it is possible with PCI h/w. I'm pretty sure I tried it once
> and got it to work but that box has long since been upgraded and I
> don't have the settings any more.

Yes, I have experience with this already as I had to add a special
udev rule for my PVR-150. My situation is that I have three cards:

1 PVR-150
1 DVB-C
1 DVB-T

The DVB-T card and the PVR-150 were swapping on control of
/dev/video[01] and so I added:

DRIVERS=="ivtv", SYSFS{name}=="ivtv? encoder MPEG",
ID=="0000:00:0d.0", SYMLINK+="ivtv"

to create /dev/ivtv for the PVR-150.

However, the DVB-C and DVB-T cards are swapping on which creates
/dev/dvb/adapter[01]/* as well just to make things difficult. I wasn't
sure how easy it would be to do something similar for these two cards
as the each adapterN directory contains 4 device nodes inside it, or
can udev create a symlink to the adapterN directory? In the udev rules
I found the following:

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k; K=$${K#dvb}; printf
dvb/adapter%%i/%%s $${K%%%%.*} $${K#*.}'", NAME="%c", GROUP="video"

which has me temporarily confused.

I suppose I could use a script of my own to symlink adapter9 to the
correct one when booting and set myth to use adapter9, but I
definitely think udev should be able to do this. Docs, here I come...

Robin