[mythtv-users] HD Tuner Cards

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 06:26:29 UTC 2007

Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl> says:
> >h264 is another option (instead of MPEG2), though I don't believe
> >any stations in the U.S. use it yet, though the BBC is currently
> >testing.
> >
> US will go that way. Europe is using it europe wide, not only
> BBC. Its used on DVB-C, DVB-S, DVB-T and even over IP for IP STBs.

I wouldn't count on it. I don't think many Europeans--even those on
this list--appreciate just how far North America is ahead of the rest
of the world in deploying over-the-air, satellite, and cable-based
HDTV. While the BBC continues to fiddle with over-the-air HDTV trials
in selected parts of London, US broadcast stations have been using
ATSC to air HDTV programs since 1999, and the six national commercial
broadcast networks have long since migrated their entire prime-time
program lineups (except some reality programs) to HDTV; see
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/183751#183751>. That's
not to say that rented cable and satellite boxes might not over time
migrate to H.264, but ATSC and ATSC-based televisions, capture cards,
and settop boxes are here to stay.

Yeechang, daily enjoying the benefits of HDTV-on-MythTV through two
cable boxes and one unamplified indoor antenna

 . . . and, because HDTV programs take 7.5GB/hour . . .

Yeechang, owner of almost certainly the world's largest MythTV setup
in terms of available storage