[mythtv-users] HDHR QAM: Streams ok to VLC but not Mythtv

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 4 03:35:52 UTC 2007

P S wrote:
> On 1/3/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> P S wrote:
>>> On 1/3/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> Doing this I'll have to readd all my xmlids, right?  As my provider
>>> does not have them defined for QAM.
>> If you do the full scan, and end up with 400 streams, running
>> mythfilldatabase will create a Guide entry for each channel...tunable ro
>> not.
>> If you already have a zap2it lineup the channels which you know you can
>> receive will actually have data.
>> Then you go into Live TV and attempt to watch every channel. Those that
>> actually work, you press 'e' for the channel editor. This will show an
>> onscreen editor where you can enter some known piece of information
>> about the channel. It helps here, to have the Guide available so you can
>> tell what you are looking at. If you know the channel...WGRZ..and fill
>> that in, then press 'Probe', it will automagically fill in the remaining
>> data..(You must use the zap2it name for the channel, not what the
>> station likes to call itself).
>>
>> Then you delete the unwanted channels, from mythtv-setup or in mysql.
>>
>> The xmltvid is zap2it's unique descriptor for the channel...You help the
>> process by naming the channel... then the editor retrieves the xmltvid.
>>
>> Helps if you have a list of the available tunable channels. Harder but
>> not impossible if you do not have a list. I have multiple CBC channels
>> which at certain times of the day, are all running the same program.
>> Luckily. in the Toronto area, there is an on-line list which matches the
>> channel name and the serviceid (PID stream number) so I backed in from
>> there. A little deduction and induction works fine. Worst case, you skip
>> and come back later to watch the channel until it announces itself...
>>
>> Geoff
>>

> Ok, I removed all my cards, sources, dtv_mplexes and deleted every
> entry in the recommended tables.  Of course I backed up my db first.
>
> I added my HDHR tuner and created the source and scanned, unchecking
> unencrypted only.  This didn't work, I still couldn't tune these
> specific channels.
>
> I only have a problem with 10% of the channels, the majority of the
> channels are fine.  But I know of 8 channels (there are probably more)
> that are tunable via VLC but unwatchable in myth.  These channels lock
> but do not play back in myth, xine will play them but there is no
> audio.

If this is cable, I think you shoujld complain to your supplier as
something weird is going on.

Wild thought. Are the flakey channels grouped together, on the same
frequency (same mplexid in the channel table)? I wonder if your cable co
could be using a different tuning standard. If you look at the
'us-cable-Standard/IRC/HRC_QAM256' tables you will see that some channel
frequencies in IRC/HRC are shifted relative to the Standard table. Maybe
your 'bad' channels are actually being mistuned...although I find it
hard to believe that it would tune a digital stream at all if it was off
frequency.

Geoff