[mythtv-users] Graphics cards with Component video - anyone using?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 4 01:59:44 UTC 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 16:08, Tom Lichti wrote:
> Stroller wrote:
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut>
>> I'm surprised by the author's statement "utilising a VGA to component
>> transcoder provides higher quality". Can anyone explain why this
>> might be, please?
> Not sure, since my personal experience is that with finally getting
> the
> component out on the Nvidia card to work, I have the best Myth
> display I
> have ever had, and that is with using composite, s-video, 3 different
> VGA transcoders, and finally the component out. I can't see how my
> picture could get any better at this point, for me anyway.

Many thanks for your comments. I find myself with somewhat more
confidence in them than in the article I liked to, and am tempted to
give this a try.

Does anyone have any comments on which graphics card I should choose?

PNY nVidia 6200 128meg AGP @ 37
PNY nVidia 7600GS 256meg PCIe @ 53
or PNY nVidia
    http://www2.pny.com/7300-GT-256MB-PCIe--P1895C14.aspx - 62

There's a big bit of me that says "get the cheapest card" but another
part of me thinks I should "invest" in newer PCI Express technology.
Of course when I start going down that route I start admiring the
specifications which indicate the more expensive card to have a fill
rate of nearly twice as many billion pixels per second.  :/
Presumably the 7x00 cards can be expected to be longer-supported by
nVidia's binary drivers that the 6x00 series?

> I'm sure my setup is far from normal though.

What's normal? Especially in MythTV. It seems to me that connecting a
monitor to a PC is easy! With MythTV we make our job so much more
difficult, insisting on connecting to television sets which were
designed quite without computer connectivity in mind.