[mythtv-users] HDHR QAM: Streams ok to VLC but not Mythtv

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jan 3 22:45:33 UTC 2007

P S wrote:
> On 1/3/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>

> Doing this I'll have to readd all my xmlids, right?  As my provider
> does not have them defined for QAM.

If you do the full scan, and end up with 400 streams, running
mythfilldatabase will create a Guide entry for each channel...tunable ro
not.
If you already have a zap2it lineup the channels which you know you can
receive will actually have data.
Then you go into Live TV and attempt to watch every channel. Those that
actually work, you press 'e' for the channel editor. This will show an
onscreen editor where you can enter some known piece of information
about the channel. It helps here, to have the Guide available so you can
tell what you are looking at. If you know the channel...WGRZ..and fill
that in, then press 'Probe', it will automagically fill in the remaining
data..(You must use the zap2it name for the channel, not what the
station likes to call itself).

Then you delete the unwanted channels, from mythtv-setup or in mysql.

The xmltvid is zap2it's unique descriptor for the channel...You help the
process by naming the channel... then the editor retrieves the xmltvid.

Helps if you have a list of the available tunable channels. Harder but
not impossible if you do not have a list. I have multiple CBC channels
which at certain times of the day, are all running the same program.
Luckily. in the Toronto area, there is an on-line list which matches the
channel name and the serviceid (PID stream number) so I backed in from
there. A little deduction and induction works fine. Worst case, you skip
and come back later to watch the channel until it announces itself...

Geoff