[mythtv-users] Is there any reason I shouldn't .....

Dave Ansell dave at theansells.com
Wed Jan 3 19:21:24 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Is there any reason I shouldn't .....

On 12/31/2006 05:55 AM, Dave Ansell wrote:
>   I dont really like messing inside the database, but I want to get rid of
> all the old "one-off" recordings which clutter up the "Recording
> Schedules"
> screen under MythWeb.
>
>    There seems to be no point in keeping "once" type recording schedules
> that relate to past shows.
>
>    So is it safe to execute the following SQL occasionally as a cron job?
>

> delete from record where type=1 and enddate<now();
> delete from record where type=6 and enddate<now();

Short answer, "No."

Better answer:  mythfilldatabase will clean these rules up properly for
you.  Therefore--even if you're using only "EIT only" or "No grabber"
sources--you must run mfdb once "in a while" (you determine the
appropriate meaning of "while" in your case).  So, set your cron job to
run mythfilldatabase.

However, in SVN trunk, the mythfilldatabase cleanup tasks have been
moved to the backend, so in 0.21, this will no longer be necessary for
No-grabber and/or EIT-only users.

Mike

Thanks Mike - that certainly seems a better answer.  I didnt realise mfdb
did that.
cheers,
Dave