[mythtv-users] Graphics cards with Component video - anyone using?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Jan 3 16:34:52 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> Tom Lichti wrote:
>>
>> I am using a GeForce 6200 based card (not sure on the exact mfg/model)
>> with the component out cable thingy, and it works just fine, if you
>> use the right config. When I first tried it the display was not right
>> (no red signal) and I couldn't get it working. I left it for about 6
>> months then finally resolved myself to getting it working, and did.
>> You have to specify an HD resolution in the 'TVStandard' option of the
>> xorg/xfree config file. For me, since I have an SD TV with component
>> input, that option is 'HD480i'. Not sure what yours would be, but you
>> should be able to make it work. Since I've done that, and a few other
>> tweaks, I have a beautiful picture.
>
> I've got a nVidia GeForce 6200 with the HD (component) break-out pod and
> I have yet to try using the component video.  I, too, have been
> periodically browsing around to see what might need to be done to get
> the component video working correctly, but, since it wasn't high on my
> list just yet, I haven't approached it.
>
> Would you be willing to share your config with the list as sort of an
> example?  :)
>
> -Rich

Sure. I did many things to get the picture and performance that I have
though. I am running 9629 nVidia drivers, I am using the nVidia AGP
module, I am using realtime priority, and XvMC. The relevant config is
here. I should probably clean it up a bit, but it does work.

Section "Module"
     Load           "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor
     Load           "dbe"
     Load           "extmod"
     Load           "fbdevhw"
     Load           "v4l"
     Load           "glx"
     Load           "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
     Load           "speedo"
     Load           "type1"
     Load           "freetype"
     Load           "record"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     HorizSync       28.0 - 96.0
#    VertRefresh     60.0 - 60.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Card0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "All"
     BoardName      "All"
     Option "TVStandard" "HD480i"
     Option "UseEvents" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Option         "DPI" "100 x 100"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Card0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     Option         "NvAGP" "1"
     Option         "NoLogo" "true"
     Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       1
         Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       4
         Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       8
         Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       15
         Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       16
         Modes      "800x600" "640x480"