[mythtv-users] Gentoo new install

Mike Daugird MDaugird at erdman.com
Tue Jan 2 19:24:08 UTC 2007

Message: 28
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:36:34 -0700
From: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Gentoo new install
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Mike Daugird wrote:

> 	Two things have come up with my new install of mythtv, with a
> PVR 350
> 1)how do I get udev to stop making the permissions restrictive on
> /dev/video0 so that I can use it.
> I run mythbackend, mythfrontend and xfce4 as a normal user.

Have a look at your /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules file and any
related stuff.

You can make the video device accessible by using groups ("video" is
a good one) or adjust the permissions for "other" users. Whatever
user is running myth should be a member of the appropriate groups.
> 2)How do I get ivtv-fb set up, it is hard masked and the bug list
> seems
> to indicate it is a problem with the newer version of X.org
> When I unmask the ivtv-dev it wants to downgrade my X.org version.
> Also, when is the .21 version expected to make it to portage?

I suppose there would actually have to *be* a version 0.21 in order
for it to show up in portage, there isn't AFAIK :-)

You could grab the latest svn version and make your own ebuild I guess.

I was going off the following

[quote]Storage Groups
 New in MythTV 0.21

Storage Groups are lists of directories that are used to hold MythTV
recording files. By default, there is only one Storage Group, called

Its about half way down.
I took that to mean there was a .21

Could you be more specific on the udev rules. My user is a member of
video but udev makes it owned by root group root.