[mythtv-users] MediaMVP and Myth SVN

Jerry Bett bjett80 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:13:29 UTC 2007

On 12/29/06, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the SVN version of Myth right now which is protocol version 32.
> I've tried downloading the nightly builds of mvpmc for the MediaMVP and even
> though the version is 0.3.2, it appears that it is not protocol version 32
> (I get "Connection Lost" when trying to connect the two).  I tried the alpha
> versions of MediaMVP with UPnP support but there are definite problems (
> e.g. some shows don't show up for some reason).  So I'm stuck in a position
> where I'm not able to use my MediaMVPs which is not a popular position with
> the family. :-)
>
> Anybody have any suggestions, workarounds, hacks, etc. until the two get
> synced again?!?
>
> --
> Mike

Mike,

I've been using my MediaMVP to watch myth shows via VLC on my mythbox.

You simple start vlc with the telnet interface ( vlc -I telnet) on the
myth box, build a playlist and when the recording is selected from the
mediamvp, vlc fires up and transcodes everything to mpeg2/mp3.  I was
even watching hi-def shows on my standard definition tv !

It seems that if MediaMVP see's a request for a divx file it sends the
transcode commands via telnet to vlc.  I simple do a link, like "ln
-sf /mnt/store/anyfile.mpg anyfile.divx".  Then I select
"anyfile.divx".  This 'fools' Mediamvp into sending the transcode
commands for any file to be converted to the mpeg2/mp3 that Mediamvp
needs.

Having a firewire interface to my hi-def cable box, I often had
problems with both the size of the video and the a52 sound ... this
solution solves both problems.

Barry