[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 2 14:40:25 UTC 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:59 AM, Tom Greer wrote:

> On Tue, January 2, 2007 09:08, nik gibson wrote:
> > I'm in NYC and my only option for cable is Time Warner;
> everything has
> > been fine and I've been pulling HD content over firewire but just
> this
> > past week it looks like Time Warner has added encryption to almost
> > every HD channel I want. HBO, Showtime etc... Are all now encrypted.
> >
> > Do I have any options of am I forced to rent a DVR through Time
> > Warner? I would really miss my mythtv box but it's not much use if I
> > can't get of the HD channels I want. 5C encryption should be
> illegal.
> >
> > -Nik-
>
> Out here in California with Cox Cable, we have always had the
> premium high definition channels encrypted.  The basic HD channels
> (ABC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc.) are not encrypted; but everything else is.
>
> The only solution I see is to do an analog capture, which I have
> not tried yet.

But "analog capture" of HD  material means an HD-capable encoder.
Still the bugaboo of hobbyists and "enthusiasts". Good quality HD
encoders are still very expensive (actually, crappy ones are costly
as well).

This will change in time, but for now there is not enough content to
drive the market, and not enough market to drive the content :-(