[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Tue Jan 2 11:12:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, January 2, 2007 09:08, nik gibson wrote:
> I'm in NYC and my only option for cable is Time Warner; everything has
> been fine and I've been pulling HD content over firewire but just this
> past week it looks like Time Warner has added encryption to almost
> every HD channel I want.  HBO, Showtime etc... Are all now encrypted.
>
> Do I have any options of am I forced to rent a DVR through Time
> Warner?  I would really miss my mythtv box but it's not much use if I
> can't get of the HD channels I want.  5C encryption should be illegal.
>
> -Nik-

Can you still watch the channels on your TV though? If so, you can always
try to use (*shudder*) a composite input card to record the programs...

(If you can still view them, it seems strange to me that they would
decrypt them for TV but not FireWire... Doesn't the FCC have something
about that? I seem to recall reading something like that once...)

Good luck!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250