[mythtv-users] mythtv database - backup and size questions

devsk funtoos at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 18:10:49 UTC 2007

I didn't find much information on the list, so here I am asking. Please excuse if its a dupe.

I was trying to see how to best backup my mythtv setup and current database like recorded shows, cutlists etc. I did a 'mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql' and noticed that the file was just 17MBytes, whereas 'du -sk /var/lib/mysql' returned 470MBytes.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is 'mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql' a complete backup for a myth setup? I plan to do this everyday in a cron job and keep it with the other complete install backup which I do whenever I do major upgrades.

2. What are those <hostname-bin.xxxx> files in /var/lib/mysql and why is that dir so huge compared to the database size? Is that preallocated database files? Is that the directory I should be backing up?

Thanks a lot for your patience and help! Happy New Year!
-devsk

http://mail.yahoo.com