[mythtv-users] dishnetwork hdtv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 1 16:37:25 UTC 2007

On Jan 1, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Dave Pomeroy wrote:

> I'm trying to understand this mythtv.  I have dish network and hope
> to have dish
> network hdtv in the future.  Can I connect the hdmi out on the
> dishnetwork box
> to a capture card in my computer?  That is the big question.
> Thanks for your
> time.
>
> Dave Pomeroy K7DNP South Eastern Washington

The answer is yes, but only if you are willing to spend upwards of
$5000 for the capture device, not something most consumers want to
do. That's not including software, which for the the $5K Avid device
I mentioned is proprietary and very expensive as well, and not
supported directly by Myth.

And that's the low end. Lucent makes some very nice HD encoders but
they start around $30,000.

So the practical answer at this point in time is no.

You can get SD from DISH fairly easily. HD can be had from an off-air
tuner, a cable QAM demodulator (unencrypted only) or via firewire
from some digital cable boxes.

This will of course change with time. I keep in touch with some
industry folks and often beg them to sell me their old encoders, but
the manufacturers usually want them back for some reason. If it ever
gets to where I can pick up a used HD encoder for under $2K I might
take the plunge, but I don't see that happening soon.

Wish I had better news.

73s