[mythtv-users] v4l and 2.6.19 problem

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 1 13:27:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 20:32 +0900, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I have an old capture card (and a modern DVB card that works) in a
> mythtv system.
>
> On kernel 2.6.18 it works fine capturing a video feed from the composite
> input.  In 2.6.19 (R1 and R2) I just get a black screen, no errors in
> the log or dmesg.  Boot back into 2.6.18 and it works fine
>
> I see there seem to be lots of changes to the DVB side of V4l, but
> nothing obvious that would affect this.
>
> Any hints at all appreciated!
>
> BillK

Wouldnt you know it - Ive been chasing this for days, and I stumble over
the cause a few minutes after sending the message :(

udev is numbering the video devices differently depending on the kernel
version.  As a short term fix, Ive just changed the capturecard to that
wanted by 2.6.19 - will have to look into a udev rule to to fix video0
to the wanted hardware.

BillK