[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV future

Kevin Ould crippler75 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 22:10:24 UTC 2007

On 2/28/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> Michael Rice wrote:
> > I have been thinking about upgrading to HDTV but I am concerned how
> MythTV
> > will fit into that.  I can handle having to upgrade hardware but there
> seems
> > to be other issues that will cause me problems.  Mostly I fear that I
> won't
> > be able to record encrypted cable channels which is going to cause my TV
> > viewing habits to regress.
> >
> > Currently I have a number of premium digital cable channels that I
> record by
> > capturing the output of the cable box.  With MythTV I can record movies
> from
> > HBO and Showtime, etc. and watch them on my schedule.  I also subscribe
> > the NHL package and since the games I am interested in are aired when I
> am
> > working it would be useless if I could not record it.
> >
> > So at some point these channels become HD and due to copy protection
> (HDCP?)
> > I will not be able to record these channels.  Is this correct or is
> there
> > some solution to this now or coming up?
> >
> > I would guess I could get a DVR from the cable company (or go back to a
> new
> > Tivo) but that seems like a big regression after using Myth for a year
> now.
> >
> > Suggestions?  Comments?
> >

> HD in Myth in the US is currently limited to:
>
> 1.  Over the air - what you can get from an antenna from local
> broadcasters
> 2.  QAM over cable - what you can get *unencrypted* from you cable
> provider.  This varies wildly by provider from everything to nothing
> 3.  Firewire from your cable provider - what you can get *unencrypted*
> from your cable provider.  Seems even more varied than QAM in many places
> 4.  Firewire modified satellite boxes - seems the most risky and prone
> to problems but I have no direct experience here
>
> If you're looking for HD premium channels, you're only going to find
> that if you are lucky enough to have a cable provider that sends them
> unencrypted.
>
> Kevin

Just thought I would add a couple of options.

You can use a DVB-S card to receive Free To Air satellite feeds. Lyngsat is
a good place to find listings. Some may be in HD if you are lucky. You may
need a fairly large dish to receive some of the better FTA stuff out there.

I have have also read that you can also use the above(DVB-S) to receive
Expressvu(canadian provider) HD channels and somehow use your subscribed
card which is connected via some sort of card reader interface to your PC.
Seems like a feasible option if you already subscribe to the above service.
You could simply move your card between your receiver and PC when needed. To
recieve Dishnetwork(US Provider) there is a device available here
http://www.genpix-electronics.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=7&ccSID=684540c2bb4d7469cb96f22f5641b592which
is connected via USB and also requires the "tuner" module from one of
the older "6000" series HD Dishnet receivers. This apparently has been used
with MythTV successfully from some of the reading I have done. Again you
should be able to use this in conjunction with your subscribed access card.
This device seems a little pricey at ~$290.

Also I have heard there are new DVB-S2 cards coming out which may make the
"Genpix" product not needed but no one is certain yet.

Apparently Dishnetwork has begun switching some of their channels to the new
MPEG4 format which may make neither of the above options work.

Why must they make it so hard to use HD content on out Myth Boxes. :-(

Kevin