[mythtv-users] New wiki entry for Hauppauge

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Feb 28 19:14:37 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 13:56, Calin Brabandt wrote:
> > In case anybody cares, I've just created a new wiki
> >
> > entry for the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2
>
> Yeah--thanks, Rod!  Unfortunately, I setup a friend's
> USB WinTV2 just last weekend.

Was that a WinTV-USB2 or a WinTV-PVR-USB2? The names are confusingly similar,
but they're different devices. I'm not sure if the former device supports
hardware MPEG encoding or is a frame grabber, but the latter is definitely an
MPEG-2 encoding device.

> >From your wiki:
>
> "For the most part, you should be able to treat the
> encoder as if it were a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-x50/500
> card: Tell MythTV that it's an MPEG encoding card."
>
> I selected "Analog v4l Capture Card" as the capture
> device in mythtv-setup because it was the first device
> I encountered that reported the Hauppauge and scanned
> channels okay.  When I launched mythfrontend, all I
> got was a black screen.  Turns out that mythtv-setup
> works okay with the v4l setting, but mythfrontend
> can't control the tuner.  When I selected "MPEG-2
> encoder card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)" device in
> mythtv-setup, all was well.

Did mythtv-setup give a blank (no auto-detected options) for the MPEG-2
encoding device file when you set yours up? That had me worried when I set
mine up, but manually typing the information in worked fine.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com