[mythtv-users] Dish Network customers, any receiver better than another?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Feb 28 16:41:59 UTC 2007

WJCarpenter wrote:
>> Most of the DirecTV receivers can be controlled by a serial port on them
>> instead of using an IR blaster.
>>

> That used to be true, but all the DirecTV receivers I've looked at recently do not have the
> serial port.  It's a bummer.

A lot of the newer DirecTV receivers have USB ports on them.  In order
to get serial-based access to them, you need a USB to serial port
adapter and a null modem.  For example, check out
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB,
which is specific to the D11 but it is great example of a DirecTV set
top box with no serial port
(http://pimages.solidsignal.com/D11_det_zoomC.gif).

-Rich