[mythtv-users] How do I change "default" mythtv mysql password?

Phil Smith phil.smith at phil-home.com
Wed Feb 28 12:45:00 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 22:16, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:14 PM, mike wrote:
> > Just got MythTV running on a new machine, and had to figure out that
> > in order for "mythtv-setup" to work, I had to change the password in
> > mysql to "aoyvnpzr' to match what mythtv-setup had set as a default
> > password.
> > It's working fine, but just so I'll know... how can I change the
> > password in "mythtv-setup" to "mythtv", as it is supposed to be?
> > Thanks again,
> > Mike
>
> Actually, you're "supposed" to use a secure password and not post it
> on a mailing list. Leaving is as mythtv is a security hole and highly
> discouraged.
OK, you can all access my machine, I will change that. I was curious as to
how that password was generated,.. I didn't do it.
Thanks.

Hi

I would guess you are using gentoo which seems to generate a weird password
for mysql, instead of prompting for it.

To change the mysql password, log into mysql in a shell (mysql -u mythtv -p
mythconverg), enter the current password to login.

The reset the password with "set password for 'mythtv'@'%' =
PASSWORD('newpass')

Then change the mythtv-setup, and maybe any mysql.txt to match.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/set-password.html

Phil