[mythtv-users] What HDTV capture card has the most support?

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Tue Feb 27 20:00:27 UTC 2007

On 2/24/07, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> I presently have a MythTV box with two Hauppauge cards (a 150 and a 350), and it is working well for me.  I am considering adding an HDTV capture card, to receive over-the-air HDTV signals.  All the local broadcast stations broadcast in HDTV, and I live downtown in the middle of a city, within spitting distance of several TV stations, so receiving HDTV over-the-air should be no problem.
>
> I would hate to purchase an HDTV capture card and find that it doesn't work well with MythTV, or that the driver support is still buggy, or something.  (I had that experience with a HVR-1600; I saw a really, really good deal on one, then found out it is totally unsupported.  I'm glad I checked before buying it)  So, what HDTV capture card(s) have the best support under MythTV and Linux, and are available at reasonable prices?

I have a PCHDTV 5500 and an HDHomeRun.  I started with the PCHDTV and
recently got the HDHR.  While I have not had any problems with either
(both get similar signal strengths, both were easy to set up), I would
probably just get the HDHR if I were to start again and it was readily
available.  Not much more $ than the pchdtv, two tuners, and almost
too easy to set up.

I use a simple indoor antenna and I get excellent reception from
stations up to 20 miles away (85%+ signal).  On good days I can get up
to 35ish miles, but not reliably enough to use with myth (usually
around 50%-60% signal).

--Glenn