[mythtv-users] Audio interference on cable TV

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Tue Feb 27 18:44:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've been futzing with my configuration in an attempt to get things working
and I've run into what I suspect is an RF interference problem inside my
computer case. I've got a pcHDTV 3000 card that, because of its poor QAM
reception, I'm now trying to use solely as an NTSC frame grabber. The card
works fine when recording from its S-video or composite inputs, and using the
audio input jack for audio. The problem comes when I try to use it to record
from cable TV channels: I get a weak audio signal from the selected program
with what sounds like a distorted audio signal from another channel, or
perhaps a radio station, superimposed on it. The result sounds a lot like
what happens when an analog FM radio is tuned in-between two stations or in a
fringe area where two stations on similar frequencies are competing for
reception. I have the same problem no matter what analog station I tune. I
also hear the same distortion when I plug speakers directly into the pcHDTV
3000's audio output, so I'm certain the audio corruption is appearing in the
pcHDTV 3000, not somewhere else in the chain.

This problem disappears when I move the card to another computer in another
room, fed from the same source cable system. In fact, I've got two pcHDTV
3000 cards, and both exhibit the same problem in the one system but are OK in
the other. An ordinary TV, hooked directly to the cable where the problem
system resides, can tune all channels OK, so the problem doesn't seem to be
with the cable feed.

For these reasons I suspect something inside the computer's case is creating
the interference, but I have no idea what it might be. Power supply? Video
card? Motherboard? If anybody's experienced (and solved) a similar problem,
I'd appreciate hearing from you before I start ripping things out one by one
in an attempt to find the cause by trial and error.

Alternatively, I'm considering replacing the headache-inducing pcHDTV 3000
with an external NTSC tuner, like a Plextor ConvertX, and later adding
another HD tuner. Any pointers on what might work well for an external NTSC
tuner? The Plextor gets mentioned a fair amount, but I've run across
references to other external USB tuners working with MythTV, and if one of
them would work well I'll consider it. I'm thinking of an AverMedia A180 or
an HDHomeRun for HD, but I don't think I'll be getting one immediately unless
I run across a real bargain.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Rod Smith