[mythtv-users] TV Quality Recommendations (PVR-350 vs. S-Video vs. VGA->Composite)

Mike Hoover ixarka at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:20:41 UTC 2007

I thought I'd post an addendum in case other people out there are
faced with a similar decision and stumble across this post.

I've finally completed construction of my mythbox.  It works great and
I can't imagine how I lived without it.  However, getting the picture
quality on it to acceptable levels was quite a battle.  Following the
suggestions of the people here and other places, I initally purchased
a PVR-150 and an FX 5200.  I got an s-video to composite adapter and
plugged the s-video out of the FX 5200 into my TV.  The picture
quality was noticeably worse than that of my TV's internal tuner.  The
colors seemed less vibrant and everything was blurry.  I spent two
weeks fiddling with various video controls to no avail.  Suspecting
the composite link, I tried hooking up a monitor to the VGA out and
the picture quality was equally bad.

Eventually, I gave up on the 150 and ended up buying a 350.  Yes, I
know this comes with many limitations and was prepared for an endless
stream of headaches.  Installing it was relatively painless, and the
picture quality ended up being almost identical to that of my TV's
internal tuner . Now, I can happily watch TV and not be driven insane
by the picture quality.

So, if you're deciding between the PVR-150 and the PVR-350, I'd
strongly recommend the 350 if you value your picture quality.  It may
not work with future versions of Myth, the audio setup is definitely a
hack, and you won't have any OpenGL acceleration, but I spend 90% of
the time on my mythbox watching TV so I don't really care about all of
those flaws.