[mythtv-users] HD, the holy grail...

Bradley Dorner bdorner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:36:43 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Jarod Wilson <lists at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2007, at 00:09, Tu Holmes wrote:
>
> > A good fast P4 or high end Athlon will do just fine.
> >
> > As a matter of fact a Nice 2.8 Ghz Xeon will do 720p... Just not
> > 1080(i or p).
>
> Some people have better luck that others, for whatever reason... A
> 2.8GHz Xeon should be more than able to do 1080i. Hell, I had an
> athlon xp 1800 at one point that could almost do it, as well as a
> 1.5GHz core solo mac mini I was toying with a few days ago that could
> almost do it. I have an athlon xp 2600 and an athlon 64 2900 that can
> do 720p and 1080i playback without a problem. My current Athlon 64
> 3500 frontend gets no more than ~40% busy playing back 1080i
> material, and the clock speed rarely ramps up above 1GHz.
>
> > Depends on your level of HD you require.
>
> Huh?
>

> > On 2/25/07, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote: >I wrote a
> > few months ago about problems getting adequate myth HD
> > >performance.  I'm taking a break from myth with HD at least because
> > >the conclusion then was that it seemed hopeless without upgrading
> > to a
> > >dual core processor (currently Athlon XP 2400+).
> >
> > You don't need a dual-core machine to decode HD with mythv. It works
> > just fine on my single-core Athlon64 3200+.

I am having a similar problem as the original poster. My HD works for a
little while then I need to reboot the computer to get it to work again.
When it does work I get artifacts and long signal detection times. The
system it is running on is a Athlon 64 3200 single core processor with the
pcHDTV 3000. I am not sure what is happening. I am not sure if it is myth,
the power supply, or whatever. I am wondering if the power supply is
marginal and therefore creating some instabilities. It only happens when the
HD card is in use and only after an hour o so.

Brad