[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Mon Feb 26 05:41:58 UTC 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 00:50, Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> So would the Mac Mini Core Duo (instead of Solo) have plenty of room
>>> to do 1080p as a front end only then?
[...]
> Ah yes, my theory on issues outputting to a 1080p display: I think
> its likely memory pressure leading to swapping. When I moved from my
> old 1080i HDTV where I ran the GUI at 960x540p to my current 1080p
> set w/the GUI at 1920x1080p, 512MB was no longer enough to prevent
> occasional swapping. In the case of the mini, the stock config comes
> with 512MB, from which you're subtracting another 64MB for the video.
> Even at only 1680x1050, I'm seeing what appears to be quite a bit of
> swapping (under OS X, w/a few other apps also running). I plan on
> bumping up to 1GB of RAM in this thing before it supplants my current
> frontend box.

Another follow-up... Until earlier tonight, my current frontend box
actually had 2GB of RAM in it. I dropped it down to 1GB, and with
blootube-wide as my GUI theme at 1920x1080p, swapping has returned.
Playback is still generally smooth, but doesn't seem to start up as
instantaneously. Its especially noticeable exiting a recording and/or
the recordings screen, when it takes a second or two for the whole
screen to repaint and the hard drive led flashes like mad. I'm now
debating getting 2GB of RAM for my duo mini instead of just 1GB...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com