[mythtv-users] OT: Antec Fusion IR receiver

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 00:27:05 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Markus Lehtonen <knaeaepae at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/07, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > And yes, there is a spot for an IR receiver. Unfortunately it is
> > behind the "masked" area of the display, and not the tinted area.
> > Infra-red passes through the tinted area just fine, but the VFD
> > completely covers the tinted area. The "masked" area seems to complete
> > block infra-red.
> >
> > Has anyone actually had success mounting an IR receiver behind the
> > display of the Antec Fusion case, where they did not have to remove
> > some of the masking?
> As you said there is no space for an IR receiver in the unmasked area.
> I have successfully mounted my home-brew receiver beside the VFD (in
> the empty space which is reserved for iMON's own receiver that is not
> present in the OEM version of the VFD that Antec uses). I just had to
> remove some of the masking. It was fairly easy by using cotton sticks
> and strong spirits (methylated ethanol for inudstrial use). Just dip
> the cotton stick in ethanol and gently scrub the masking - just do not
> spill the ethanol all over. Ethanol does not damage the plastic
> window.

On 2/23/07, Nemo Inis <nemoinis at telus.net> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2007, at 6:00 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> > I have had a long running discussion with Antec support about where to
> > mount the IR receiver so it actually works.
> >
> <snip>
> - I had to remove the "tint" using nail polish remover and cotton tips
> to let the IR through during my experiments.
> - I had the same maddening, bang-your-head-against-a-wall type of
> conversion with Antec about another issue (power supply).  They have a
> serious attitude problem in the customer support department.  Or maybe
> we both lucked out on the same "customer is always wrong" guy.

Thanks guys.

I ended up using "Label & Adhesive Remover".  I decided to give it a
try because it says "Safe on most plastics" on the bottle (and it was
handy).  It took about an 1.5 hours, and a fair amount of knuckle
grease, but it worked.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list