[mythtv-users] HD on SDTV playback question

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 25 20:26:15 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 February 2007 12:26, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Paul Bender <pebender at san.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > Most of the frontend's power is used to decode the video. Therefore, the
> > power needed depends on the resolution of the content much more than the
> > resolution of the display. Of course, by today's standards, a below
> > average computer system can decode and display HDTV.
>
> If the other frontends have an FX5200 or better you can use XvMC to do
> the decoding if the CPU isn't fast enough.

Up to a point, yes, but XvMC isn't a magic bullet. On my system (an Intel
Celeron D 3.06GHz), using XvMC with an nVidia MX4000 and nVidia's drivers
produces smooth playback with CPU loads of around 50-60% for mythfrontend
when playing back HD content on an SD screen (800x600 resolution), with X
chewing up another 5-10%. Disabling XvMC but using the same card kicks CPU
use up to around 80%, IIRC, with playback remaining smooth -- but it gets
unsmooth quickly whenever you do anything (skip back, etc.). Swapping in a
video card based on a SiS Xabre chipset, which can't do XvMC, produces choppy
playback with higher CPU loads for both mythfrontend and X (around 80% for
mythfrontend and 20% for X, IIRC). Cutting playback speed down to 60-90% of
normal typically produces smoother playback. Based on this, I'd guesstimate
that XvMC reduces HD playback CPU load by 25-50%. This is good, of course,
but it's nowhere near as much of a reduction as you see when using hardware
encoding cards vs. simple frame grabbers.

That said, results are likely to vary from one card to another. My
understanding is that the cards with the most hardware acceleration delivered
by XvMC are those based on the nVidia 5200FX series.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com