[mythtv-users] PVR-500 saga continues

Karl Hegbloom karlheg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:01:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 23:25 -0500, John Drescher wrote:
> > Well, the bad tuner got slightly better, the other got worse.
>
> This is what I experienced. With the LNA off the first tuner had a
> good picture and the second tuner had a very snowy picture with it on
> both pictures look the same but both had faint diagonal lines in one
> or both directions depending on the channel.

Q: What is "LNA"?

I had problems with my PVR-500 (MCE) also, where tuner 1 had a good
picture but tuner 2 was snowy.  I wrote to Hauppauge, and they sent me a
replacement card, but it had the same problem.  After googling about it,
I found mention of adding a signal booster to the line, and tried that.
I bought a Motorola 15db cable TV signal booster, and put that into the
line between the splitter and the PVR-500 (the other branch from the
splitter goes to a cable modem).  The picture is now a lot better on
tuner 2, except for the lower channel numbers (us-cable, Comcast,
analog, no HD) which are snowy on both tuners.  I also see the faint
diagonal lines on most channels, and I would love to get rid of them.

I'm using a hand-built Ubuntu 2.6.20 kernel from recent sources (Feisty
Fawn, patched with driver for my HighPoint RocketRaid 2300) with IVTV
0.9.1.

--
Karl Hegbloom <karlheg at gmail.com>