[mythtv-users] Can't get smooth HD playback with GeForce 5200

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 25 05:29:34 UTC 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 15:17, Ryan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 10:15:09PM -0500, Jarod Wilson exclaimed:
>
>> Pretty sure this is the crux of your problem right here. Best as I
>> can tell, you have a straight PCI card (PCI-e cards show up
>> similarly, but mention pci-e link width, fairly sure AGP cards show
>> up as AGP). Is that indeed the case?
>>
>> You *need* a PCI-express or AGP card for HDTV, the PCI bus will get
>> overwhelmed trying to move that much data.
>>

> I am helping a friend who has the same card (PCI). It stutters using
> XvMC for 1080i when playing through myth. Whats odd, is that when we
> play the same video through xine or mplayer using XvMC it works
> perfectly.
>
> Unless myth is using a higher color-depth or something funny like
> that,
> I can't see why it would need more PCI bandwidth than xine or
> mplayer...
>
> Any thoughts? (we have recompiled myth several times, but havent tried
> the latest svn).

xine and mplayer are both a bit lighter-weight than MythTV. MythTV
does a lot more to try to keep audio and video in sync and not drop
any frames, while xine and mplayer tend to just drop frames. If
you've got a deint filter running, such as bob, that'd certainly make
a big difference as well -- bob deint doubles the framerate, which
effectively doubles the amount of data being pushed through the card.
Or something like that.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com