[mythtv-users] How do I turn my cable box on and off?

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri Feb 23 05:22:42 UTC 2007

So I just got my first Myth setup pretty much working on my FC6 box with
a PVR-350.  In my city, I have to use my cable box to change channels.
No problem, I have an IR blaster working with Myth as of tonight.  Cool
beans.

Working out the logistics of this, it occurred to me that I have to get
the cable box to turn on and off.  In all the "Sure, you can use a cable
box with Myth!" pages, it doesn't cover how to do that.  Obviously I use
the IR blaster, but how do I configure the software so it knows to turn
the cable box on if it's off, but not if it's already on, when starting
to record, and turns it off (but not if there's another show to record
afterwards) when stopping recording?

I would hate to have to leave the cable box on.

Thanks in advance