[mythtv-users] REPAIR/OPTIMIZE in HouseKeeper (was Re: Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase)

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Fri Feb 23 04:11:27 UTC 2007

> And if this is really the solution, why does Myth not do this

 It's not "The" solution, it's "A" solution to this partiular issue.

 The tradeoff is that MyISAM is much faster overall which is why mysql
defaults to it unless told otherwise.

> automatically when creating the DB?  Why do its various installation

 Well, myth doesn't create the database, an sql squirt does and that's
usually just if the person does it manually. Some packages do it themselves.

 As well this problem wasn't something that affects most people and as such
table level locking wasn't really investigated much until recently so
there was no reason to default to anything but what mysql itself defaults to.

 Now that it's been looked into though I imagine we'll see something in SVN to
avoid it altogether.