[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Crashes on Guide entry and input change

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 01:27:59 UTC 2007

On 22/02/07, Ron Scott <ronnie.scott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am experiencing a crash of mythfrontend and sometimes X (kde)
> randomly on one of my frontend machines.  Things will work fine some
> of the time but then I will press guide and the guide screen will not
> appear.  LiveTV will continue to play.  I will then press exit and the
> screen goes blank and Mythfrontend and sometimes X freezes.  To remedy
> the issue I press ctl-alt-backspace to recycle X.
>
> This happens randomly - (usually when my in-laws or wife are using the Tv)
>
> I see nothing "interesting" in any of the logs.  I do see a  /dev/dsp
> in use error .. but this is because artsd is running and it takes a
> couple of minutes on mythfrontend startup for it to be released by
> artsd to where myth can play the sound... eventually the device is
> freed and myth plays the sound normally.  I just havn't gotten around
> to disabling artsd yet.

<snip>

> 2007-02-21 09:29:16.200 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
> 2007-02-21 09:29:16.200 AudioOutput Error: WARNING: something is currently using
> : /dev/dsp, retrying.
> 2007-02-21 09:29:16.200 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: WARNING: something is c
> urrently using: /dev/dsp, retrying.
> 2007-02-21 09:29:21.031 XMLParse::LoadTheme using /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Iuliu
> s/ui.xml
> 2007-02-21 09:29:30.613 NVP: prebuffering pause

If this is when your frontend hangs, head straight to your sound
control panel and distable artsd, do not pass go, and do not collect
$200. artsd has been known to cause problems, and unless you have a
requirement for it, disable it.

Please report back as to whether this clears things up.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/