[mythtv-users] No scan on Hauppauge Nova S Plus

Richard Horton richard.horton at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 22 19:15:52 UTC 2007

> When I ran mythtv setup my DVB card would not scan the channels, despite
> me putting in settings that I was sure were correct for NZ (LNB freq. =
> 11300, TVNZ= 12483000 Vertical SR=22500000).  The signal was showing
> fine, but the scan never left 3% and eventually timed out.  I also tried
> manually creating the channels.conf using the scan utility, but this
> resulted in a blank screen when selecting those channels.
>
> I successfully tested the dvb card using "/usr/bin/dvbstream -f 1371 -s
> 22500 -p v -o 1005 1105 | mplayer -vo xv -dr -fs -"
>
> My setup is:
> Hauppauge pvr150
> Hauppauge nova-s plus
> x86_64 processor
> nvidia 7950 video
> Linux FC6, kernel 2895
> Mythtv installed using the mythtvology instructions
>

> Any comments or help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Horton.

To answer my own post,

I did some more experimenting, and found that I had to enter the initial
frequency for the scan in kHz, not Hz as stated in myth.
Also, the SR must be the same, so for me it was 22,500,000.  Often these
are only stated as e.g. 22,500
Interestingly the LNB frequency is set in MHz.  Nice consistency!
As can be seen above, I had already tried these numbers, so I have no
idea what was different last time.  The only thing that I can think of
is that I didn't allow quite enough time for the scan to actually do
anything before cancelling it, as it does take a few (~5) seconds to
start.