[mythtv-users] Channel Reception Issues

ryanlists79 at gmail.com ryanlists79 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 18:17:56 UTC 2007

I've been trying to figure this out for the last few weeks, and am
pretty frustrated.  On certain channels, mainly 3 (ABC), 4 (NBC), 43
(Cartoon Network) & 69 (Spike), I am having what appear to be reception
issues.  Basically I have small "bars" rolling across the screen.  On
channel 69, they are color, red and a semi-green, and sometimes roll up
and down, and sometimes they don't roll at all.  On channel 3 they are
just darker & lighter bars, almost a change in brightness, and scroll
from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner.  On channel 4,
they are similar to channel 3, but smaller, a bit more subtle, and
scroll directly up.  And channel 43 is an even more subtle version of
channel 4.

You can see screen shots from channels 3 & 69 on my flickr site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/83544026@N00/

I have done the normal "easy" trouble shooting:

1) plugged the cable attached to my PVR 350 to the TV directly, and all
problems disappeared
2) moved the power cable to my mythtv box to a separate wall outlet.
This was to try and eliminate a ground loop possibly caused by all the
gaming systems & stereo stuff I had in the original power strip with the
mythtv box.
3) plugged the cable directly from the wall to the mythtv box (am using
a cable splitter, 1 to the single tuner mythtv box, 1 to the TV), with
no improvement.
4) removed old spare 15GB hard drive, hoping it was a fluke problem, it
wasn't.
5) connected the cable cable from the mythtv box to an alternate cable
outlet in a different location (at least I have a 30 foot coax cable
laying around, and no this isn't the cable I normally use, I use a much
shorter 6 footer).

My system specs:
Athlon XP 2800+
512 DDR 400 RAM
Fedora 6 (using Jarod's guide)
kernel: 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 #1 SMP i686 athlon
GeForce Ti 4200
Hauppauge 350 (using the tv out for mythtv)

just updated to the latest ivtv stuff:
ivtv_xdriver-0.10.7-8_r3843.fc6.at
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-0.10.0-125.fc6.at
ivtv-0.10.0-125.fc6.at
ivtv-firmware-1.8a-13.at

mythtv version:
libmyth-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythdvd-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythtv-themes-0.20-152.fc6.at
mythtv-setup-0.20-150.fc6.at
mytharchive-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythplugins-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythtv-backend-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythflix-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythgame-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythweather-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythvideo-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythtv-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythtv-frontend-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythbrowser-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythphone-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythgallery-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythweb-0.20-152.fc6.at
mythmusic-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythnews-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythtv-suite-0.20-150.fc6.at
mythcontrols-0.20-150.fc6.at
myththemes-0.20-110.at

Any help would be appreciated, cause I've gone back to the VCR to record
certain shows because all of this is so annoying.

Thanks,

-Ryan