[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Ken Taylor ken at onramp.com.au
Thu Feb 22 00:38:33 UTC 2007

On 22/02/2007, at 7:54 AM, Michael Freeman wrote:
> I was just given a Mac Mini Core Solo by an uncle of mine who just
> hated
> Quicken for OS X that much.
> Would it be capable of being a full front and back end unit with a
> WinTV
> PVRUSB2 for analog and a HDHomeRun for digital?
>
> I expect to be able to continue to watch 720p and 1080i content
> like I do
> now on my bulky space heater of an Athlon 64 3000+ -- stuff on
> there runs
> smooth enough, but not as smooth as when I go watch it on a real TV /
> Comcast DVR combo.
> I can't get XvMC to work...so maybe that's why.
>
> Am I dreaming with my goals or can I take the space heater offline
> [Myth is
> the only reason it exists] in favor of the free Mini?

As others have said, the Solo Mini (my frontend) is capable of 720p
without too much effort, but it's not so hot at 1080i.

I haven't tried running Linux on mine (as I use other OSX
functionality on it), but you might get more value from that.

Ken
--
Ken Taylor

"Everyone knows the plural of virus is Windows" - Mike Muth on AFU