[mythtv-users] transcoding perfect dvd rips to xvid

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 21 21:48:25 UTC 2007

Willy Boyd wrote:
> On 2/21/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Mind sharing your convert script? I've been thinking about doing the
>> same thing, since my /video folder is getting full.. and I don't want
>> to lose the AC-3 format in the conversion.
>
> Try searching the list on Matroska or the movie "RV" -- Scott just
> posted his script a couple days ago.
>
> I tried it out, and the quality was awesome, but about 2/3 of the way
> through the video went all "smeared" like a blurry rainbow (audio was
> intact), and stayed that way until the end of the movie.  I have no
> idea what happened there, but I'm trying another encode now just in
> case something funky happened with my box during the first run.  The
> only thing I changed in his script was adding "threads=auto" as I have
> a dual-core processor.

Yeah, I left that out because my MythTV box (which does most of my conversions)
is an Athlon 64.  I added threads=2 to a copy of the script for doing HD
encodes on a Core 2 Duo.

I've not had a chance to verify that dual-core HD encode all the way through,
though, because I've run into trouble muxing the resulting video.  I suspect
MP4Box goes haywire on files >4GB, and even the newest mkvmerge has issues
muxing raw H.264 (which is why my H.264 & AC3 script muxes the video by itself
with MP4Box and then muxes that with the audio with mkvmerge).  I've not gotten
around to reencoding the video at a lower bitrate (used 6 Mbps the first time)
because it takes somewhere around 15-20 hours to run...it's like I'm ripping
DVDs to SVCD with a 450-MHz K6-III again. :-)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter