[mythtv-users] transcoding perfect dvd rips to xvid

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:49:15 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Jake <jakeisawake at gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm just curious but about how big is the ac3 for a standard 2 hour
> movie?  i've always just done mp3 audio but might like to have the 5.1
> sound in the future.

For a 1hr 45min movie I'm testing with encoding right now, I get about
330mb for the AC3 audio, which is encoded on the DVD at the highest
possible rate I believe (448kbps).  Ironically, this is over half what
my video track is (~600mb, 800kbps h.264).  It would be nice to make
it smaller but I use an a/v receiver and the 5.1 spdif-out is a
priority for me.