[mythtv-users] Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Feb 21 04:27:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 19:10 -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> I don't know if the operative word is "corrupt" or "destroy"--more
> accurately "corrupt, then destroyed by optimize_mythdb.pl," I
> suppose--but twice in the past couple of months I've seen, after
> forced reboots (involving what I describe at
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/242065#242065>),
> the seektables for the previous week or two of recordings
> destroyed. The damage isn't always obvious at first glance as the
> end-recording time is usually (not always) correct. However, if one
> tries to jump to near the end (say, 1:28:00 in a 1:28:37 recording),
> then jump back to the start (from, say, 1:28:07), the OSD will only
> jump back to 1:28:00.
>
> It's a pain to rebuild the seektables manually,[1] but otherwise the
> database is completely intact in such cases as far as I can tell.[2]

Heh - one more good reason to run daily backups of the db...

I've had db corruption twice in my 3+ years of using myth, and now my
backup script (run nightly) has the optimize script in it as well...
Usually I end up doing something really regrettable to the db when I
decide that I want to add another HD channel on my pcHDTV3000, then
realize that I've cooked the rest of them.  Being able to restore
individual tables in those cases is *invaluable*... ;)

	-I